Twitter is a 'microblogging' system that allows you to send and receive short posts called tweets. Tweets can be up to 140 characters long and can include links to relevant websites and resources. Twitter users follow other users. If you follow someone you can see their tweets in your twitter 'timeline'. You can choose to follow people and organizations with similar academic and personal interests to you. You can create your own tweets or you can retweet information that has been tweeted by others. Retweeting means that information can be shared quickly and efficiently with a large number of people.
Great for Live events and engaging an audience with live tweets during the event.
Who is on Twitter
- Twitter has more than 330 million monthly active users.
- There are 134 million daily active users or at least that’s how many “monetizable” daily active users according to Twitter.
- Of their monthly active users, 68 million are form the United States.
- The number of users from the US is 26 million.
- Close to 460,000 new twitter accounts are registered everyday.
- Twitter users are posting 140 million tweets daily which adds up to a billion tweets in a week.
- Each twitter user has on average 208 followers.
- 550 million accounts are reported to have at least sent one tweet.
Learn Twitter Analytics